Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dropped a Stitch!

So, I was merrily knitting away when I found out that I had dropped a stitch at the end of the row. Not knowing how to fix it, and not wanting to frog the work, which was almost 3-4 inches long at this point, I quickly went to my laptop, and onto the trusty internet. Unfortunately, I couldn't fix it, so I opted for the next best thing, which was going back a row. So, I did.

So, back to knitting I went. And wouldn't you know it? A few rows later, I had slipped a stitch in the middle of the row. Not panicking, I caught the stitch almost immediately, and then with my trusty crotchet hook, one the same size as my needles (6.0mm or size 10), and a quick look at this site, How to Fix a Dropped Stitch, I easily fixed that too.

So, if you find that you've dropped a stitch, don't fret, and catch as soon as you can, the sooner the better, and fix it. Of course, the more complex the pattern, the harder it might be to catch and fix the problem. I am doing a simple garter stitch for my project, so it was very easy to catch right away. Some people recommend threading a string along a row as you knit, to act as a sort of "safety line". This is particularly helpful if you are doing a complex pattern like a lace. If you find that you've dropped a stitch and its next to impossible to fix, you can simply go back to the row with the string in it and start knitting from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment